You’re at a work function. You meet someone new. Instead of the usual, “So what do you do?” there’s a way to elicit a more thoughtful response and unlock insights about someone.
HBR published 8 questions that open up conversation, create multiple ties, and lead to richer relationships. Next time try starting with:
- What excites you right now?
- What are you looking forward to?
- What’s the best thing that happened to you this year?
- What’s the most important thing I should know about you?
- What do you love most about what you do? (This question is an Experience Lab favorite not yet on HBR’s list.)
These questions have been proven to help team members get along better, enjoy work more, and build meaningful Connections. Studies also show that team members with at least one friend at work have greater work satisfaction. Give the questions a go and see what it sparks.